Hunt for 2020 Civic Type R, or Wait for 2021? - 2018 Honda Civic Type R Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Question Hunt for 2020 Civic Type R, or Wait for 2021?

Hi, new to 10thTypeR; posting from Ontario, Canada. =)

Wanted to get thoughts from enthusiasts and those in the 'know':- As we are all aware, production of the Type R this year is low due to plant shutdowns from COVID-19, with many/all stock sold in Canada by now. I'm in the market to purchase a new model, should I try and hunt down any remaining 2020 Type R's in the province or any that may still be being shipped to dealers ... or should I just wait until details of the 2021 model are announced and start arriving next year? For example, one dealership I contacted said a 2020 vehicle is coming in 1.5 months and I can hold it with a deposit - can I trust this, do dealerships know that far if one is coming, is 1.5 months too ambitious and it'll be even later?

Some uncertainties influencing the decision I haven't been able to find out are:
  • Is the Swindon, England plant back up and running and if so, are they continuing to make and deliver the 2020 Type R to Canada?
  • Will the Type R even still be produced given the closing of the Swindon plant come July 2021?
  • If the Type R will continue to be produced, where will it be made and wouldn't it have been announced by now to ramp up equipment / plans / etc at the new plant?
  • If I wait until 2021, when do they likely arrive - right at the start in January or in the Spring?
  • Are any details of the 2021 model revealed or even confidently speculated?
  • This Civic's generation began in 2016 and the Type R in 2017, is it not time for a next generation? If so, should I wait until that comes out with expectedly a different design and power rating?

I understand this is a big question and grateful for any insight and opinion the enthusiast community can provide. Thank you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page